Swimmer Ventures Into Uncharted Water ...

Dear Dee:
I am 15 and in the 10th grade. I swim after school. I have a friend who is 20 and in college, and he is the lifeguard during my practice. We sometimes flirt and I think I like him. I have no idea how he feels about me. I asked him about one of my friends he knows, and he says he doesn't like her because she's only 15. Can you give me advice?


I don't want to be harsh, but I really want you to understand this. There is nothing ‘right' about a 15-year-old and a 20-year-old being in a relationship. It's illegal and wrong.

So while it is perfectly fine to admire the hunky lifeguard while you're swimming, and it's even OK to talk to him, it is not OK to get involved. As an adult, he should (and it sounds like he does) know this.

I am not trying to hurt your feelings, because I understand the attraction to an older guy. But the age difference at your age is really too difficult to overcome. He's in college. He's an adult. His expectations of a relationship are much different than yours. And, he could end up in jail.

So enjoy the view, but stay firmly planted in reality. And keep yourself safe. The right guy will come along.

No comments: