Dad Won't Let Me Date

Dear Dee:
My dad thinks I am too young to date.

I am 14 years old and have never dated before. He won't even let me text the guy I like. He took my phone away. For my 14 birthday this other guy gave me a ring. My dad said it was inappropriate for a guy to give a girl jewelry (a ring).

Now the guy I really like thinks I am mad at him but I am not! Is my dad over reacting or am I?


I actually don't think your dad is overreacting.

He makes the rules! And if I preach ANYTHING in this column, it's that respecting and honoring your parent's decisions and rules is vital. It is vital for your future success as an adult and also extremely important to help you develop their trust and respect. So when your dad IS ready for you to date, you won't have any problems convincing him you're ready.

See, a lot of us make the mistake of jumping into dating too early, doing stupid stuff (read
Major Embarrassment in the Computer Room and Beyond Second Base for examples) and then getting into BIG trouble emotionally, morally and with our parents.

If you give yourself a few more years, you can make tons of guy friends, flirt a little and really figure out what you want in a guy and get yourself together and prepared for dating.

I know, I know! You're rolling your eyes at me ... but seriously. This is the way to go! Respect your dad's decisions. Don't fight him on it. I promise you'll get so much farther with him later when he allows you to date, if you honor him now.

Oh, just as a side note, any decent guy will also respect your dad's decision to not let you date. If the guy makes fun of you or trash talks your dad for his rules, then stay away from this guy ... seriously. That's downright disrespectful to your father -- and to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling when a father doesn't let his daughter date. I've been there. My parents set a dating limit for me as well, sixteen. I was fifteen when my first opportunity for a boyfriend came along. I was really sad that I couldn't do anything about it, and told him my parents age limit. Well turns out I wasn't even emotionally ready anyways, we saw eachother at school, and everything went from awkward to even more awkward and ended suddenly. Though I know I wanted to have a chance, I'm so glad that I have respected my parents wishes. Now I know that when another opportunity comes along, it will be even more special and smooth. I am now almost seventeen, and still haven't had a real relationship, but life couldn't be better. I hope you listen to Dee, because she's always right. Thank you, and I hope everything goes alright for you.