I'm In Foster Care

Dear Dee:
I'm in foster care and I get to live with my sister and her kids. It's hard though, because I can only see my mom on the weekends. What is a girl to do?


It's really awesome you get to stay with family while your mother is dealing with what she needs to handle. But I know it must be hard for you to only see her a few days a week.

Being a mother is a full-time job. The fact you only get to see yours on the weekends makes it difficult for you to get everything in, but what's important is you make the most of it.

I don't know the reason why you're in foster care and not living with your mom. But I do know you love her and you want to be with her. So, while you're in this type of situation, don't dwell on the fact you're only spending two days out of seven with her. Look at it as if you're getting two full days of your mom's undivided attention! Look forward to that time. Treasure it and use it to make memories that help you through the next week and show her how important she is to you.

Play. Talk. Cry. Just enjoy it.

Also, don't forget to give your sister some love, too. She's there for you and I am sure is overwhelmed trying to keep everything together. Make sure she knows how important she is to you and how much you appreciate her.

No comments: