Where's Dad at My Games?

Dear Dee:
I play a lot of sports and my mom supports me 100 percent. But my dad doesn't like to come to my games. Right now it is basketball season. I try to convince him to come, but he just makes up excuses not to. What should I do?


Obviously, your dad doesn't know how important sports are to you. And it's time you told him! Don't step lightly around it. Let him know you think he's letting you down by not supporting you. Tell him you understand him not being able to attend EVERY game, but he should make an effort to get to a few.

Your dad should see your playing sports as a way he can connect to you through his participation in watching. Even if he isn't a huge sports buff, he should understand that those who make a basketball team are an elite few -- and you're one of them. So he should show his pride by being there, cheering you on.

I know I always preach to you guys about speaking respectfully and even-tempered to your parents. And I do advise this here, as well. BUT, I want you to show your father how passionate you are about the game and how much his absence hurts you. If you have to get a little ‘heated' (just a little) to get this across, do it. But maintain respect.

I definitely understand what type of dedication and commitment it takes to be an athlete. Sports can do a lot in shaping who a person grows up to be. And it teaches you SO MUCH about life. By showing up to games and supporting you, your dad can be a part of it. So make sure he knows it.

No comments: